the photo, graphic design (and occasionally and other things) diary of jessica daly

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stills from 'The Virgin Suicides'



So these images have nothing to do with me being into the idea of suicide, which I’m not. I just think these stills are very beautiful. I’m a big fan of Sofia Coppola's cinematography. There’s a common thread through all her popular films (Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette, and Lost in Translation) where the actual script is secondary to the imagery and coloration of the film, as far as driving the narrative.
I've read she gets a lot of criticism for the weakness of her plots and the music-video-like quality of her films, but I feel these critics are comparing her work against convention she’s not trying to follow.
I think there are infinite ways to tell a story.